Winter always gets me down; cold, dark and often miserable. So I’ve started to try and change that with food. After plenty of research I’m putting the theory to the test and it’s working. So, as part of a series of posts, I give you ‘Happy Meals’; meals that will honestly make you a happier person!
Without further ado, here’s one I made earlier:
Pepper lime salmon with black-eyed beans
So what makes this dish so good for you? Oily fish, such as salmon, is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Not only does this help your heart, it’s also been linked to reliving signs of depression. As well as this, the beans supply potassium, an important mineral for managing blood pressure and soluble fibre, which keeps cholesterol in check. Finally, brown rice is a relatively low GL food, good for managing blood sugar levels. All in all, it’s a pretty good package!
Ingredients (serves two):
2x salmon fillets
1 tbsp cajun seasoning mix
100g brown rice
400g can of black-eyes beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste (e.g. tabasco)
1 tbsp clear honey
2 limes; 1 juiced, 1 cut into wedges
Small bunch of coriander chopped plus extra to serve
- Heat grill to hot and roll the salmon in the cajun seasoning;
- Cook the rice as the instructions suggest (brown rice should take about 25 minutes);
- Add the black-eyed beans to the rice in the final two minutes of cooking;
- Once cooked, drain rice and beans, and set aside;
- While the rice is cooking, grill the salmon for about 8 minutes without turning;
- At the same time, mix together the pepper sauce, honey and lime juice. (I added a little more honey to this as I have a sweet tooth but taste as you go);
- When everything is ready, stir the coriander through the rice and lay the salmon on top. Drizzle a small amount of the sauce over the fish to taste;
- Serve with a little extra coriander and lime wedges.
Tagsapple Art baking books breakfast Cards Ceiling Medallions Children Chores Christmas cinnamon corker and mills Crafts Creative lighting Date Night Design DIY Family Food Games gifts Glass Floats Groupon Halloween Health heather Highclere Castle History Home decoration How to Paper Lanterns Picture Frames Pizza Recycling Recyling Relationships stairs stencils Steve Carell strudel Summer Tina Fey Travel wallpaper Wine